Redemptorists logo
Our Mother of Perpetual Help Icon
Since 1732, the Redemptorists — a congregation of missionary priests and brothers — have followed in Jesus’ footsteps, preaching the Word and serving the poor and most abandoned.
Redemptorists logo


in memoriam
Thursday

Father Brendan Greany, C.Ss.R., dies at 81

Father Brendan Patrick Greany died December 18, 2018, at the St. John Neumann Residence in Timonium, Md.

He was born July 1, 1937, in the Bronx, N.Y., to John and Nora (nee Fitzgerald) Greany. He was baptized at St. John’s in the Bronx. The family moved to the parish of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, and he was confirmed there on November 16, 1948. He made his profession on August 2, 1958, in Ilchester, Md., and made solemn vows at Mount St. Alphonsus, Esopus, N.Y., on September 2, 1961.

Father Greany was ordained at Mount St. Alphonsus on June 23, 1963, and made the tirocinium (“apprenticeship”) at St. Mary’s in Annapolis between 1964 and 1965. His first assignment was to be a missionary in the Vice-Province of Campo Grande, Brazil, although the details the first year of his work there are unknown.

From 1966 to 1968 he served in Bela Vista and from 1968 to 1970 in Antonia. Between 1970 and 1972 he was in Campo Grande I and then became the rector of Bela Vista (February 1972 to 1975) and rector of Ponta Porã (1975 to 1980). He was pastor of Perpetual Help Parish (1984 to 1990). He returned to the United States in 1990 and in August of that year he took a sabbatical at the University of Notre Dame.

Father Greany was a member of the retreat team at Mount St. Alphonsus in Esopus from January 1991 to July 1991, when he was transferred to St. Martin of Tours Church in Bethpage, N.Y. In 1995 he worked in the parish at North East, Pa. He then served at the parish in Kent Island, Md. (1996 to 1999) and at Our Mother of Perpetual Help in Ephrata, Pa. (1999 to 2008).

In 2008 he moved to the St. John Neumann Residence health facility, then at Stella Maris, N.Y. In June 2009 he moved to St. John Neumann Residence in Timonium, Md. As his health improved in 2012, he moved to assisted living at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish in Brooklyn, N.Y., and remained for nearly five years. With declining health, he returned to the St. John Neumann Residence in 2017.

His funeral Mass was held Saturday, December 22, at the Basilica of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Brooklyn.