Redemptorists logo
Our Mother of Perpetual Help Icon
Since 1732, the Redemptorists — a congregation of missionary priests and brothers — have followed in Jesus’ footsteps, preaching the Word and serving the poor and most abandoned.
Redemptorists logo


in memoriam
Wednesday

Brother Stephen Lendvay dies at 80

Brother Stephen Emil Lendvay, C.Ss.R., of the St. John Neumann community at Stella Maris in Timonium, Maryland, died February 6, 2019, at age 80.

He was born March 24, 1938, in Philadelphia to Stephen and Thelma (Eckert) Lendvay. He was baptized at St. Peter the Apostle Church on April 10, 1938, and confirmed at St. Boniface, both Redemptorist parishes in Philadelphia.

He entered the Redemptorists as a brother candidate at Ephrata, Pennsylvania, in 1962; was a novice at Ilchester, Maryland, from 1963 to 1964; and made his first profession on August 2, 1964 at Ilchester, where he remained from August to November of that year. His final vows were made on August 2, 1968.

Between his first profession and solemn vows, he was at St. Alphonsus College in Suffield, Connecticut (1964-1967), then at Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Brooklyn (August 1967-February 1968). He made his second novitiate at Ilchester, from February 1968 to August 1968. He returned to Suffield twice more: between 1968 and 1971 and again between 1975 and 1977.

He also served at Boston’s Mission Church (1971-1973), OLPH in Brooklyn (1973-1975), St. Peter the Apostle in Philadelphia (1977-1984); the Bronx, at the Perpetual Help Center at Immaculate Conception (1984-2008); St Peter’s in Philadelphia (2008-2009); and St. Clement’s Mission House in Ephrata (2009-2011).

His remaining years were spent at Stella Maris. Obsequies were held in the Stella Maris Chapel on February 9, 2019, and at St. Peter the Apostle on February 11, 2019, with burial in Holy Redeemer Cemetery in Philadelphia.