Redemptorists logo
Our Mother of Perpetual Help Icon
Since 1732, the Redemptorists — a congregation of missionary priests and brothers — have followed in Jesus’ footsteps, preaching the Word and serving the poor and most abandoned.
Redemptorists logo


Features
Wednesday

Redemptorists return to Pennsylvania roots

For decades, the Redemptorists have worked the hills and valleys between Lancaster and Reading, planting the seeds of plentiful redemption among generations of families in eastern Pennsylvania. This summer, a small band of Redemptorists began a new chapter in this continuing story.

On August 3, friends, caregivers and fellow Redemptorists gathered at Our Mother of Perpetual Help Church in Ephrata to celebrate the beginning of a new ministry for six retired Redemptorist priests and brothers. The men are the first residents of a new assisted living space at St. Clement’s Mission House, just down the street from the church in Ephrata.

During evening prayer and benediction, the Redemptorists celebrated the start of their new ministry, which will be one of prayer for their brothers who continue to actively serve the needy in and around Ephrata. Very Rev. Alfred Bradley, vicar provincial, noted that the Redemptorists were responsible for founding many of the Catholic communities that exist today in that part of southeastern Pennsylvania. He called Ephrata a place "where the faith has been handed on from generation to generation to generation."

After the prayer service, Father Bradley joined Very Rev. Patrick McGarrity, Redemptorist superior of St. Clement’s, and Msgr. William Waltersheid, secretary for clergy and consecrated life for the Diocese of Harrisburg, to bless the new assisted living quarters. The Redemptorists living there will be assisted by three Missionary Sisters of St. Benedict who cared for many of the men who relocated from the Redemptorists’ former facility in Saratoga Springs, NY.