Redemptorists logo
Our Mother of Perpetual Help Icon
Since 1732, the Redemptorists — a congregation of missionary priests and brothers — have followed in Jesus’ footsteps, preaching the Word and serving the poor and most abandoned.
Redemptorists logo


Monthly Archives: September 2018

The Redemptorists invite you to a Holy Hour of prayer before the Blessed Sacrament on Friday, October 5. We will pray for the survivors of clergy abuse, for their families, for the accused, and for the Church.

Please join us for Mass at 5:30 p.m. at [read more]

Learn more about the Our Mother of Perpetual Help icon

Cardinal Joseph W. Tobin, C.Ss.R., archbishop of Newark

This fall marks 150 years since the first three icons of Our Mother of Perpetual Help came to the United States. One of those early icons–the first to be publicly venerated–is enthroned at Sacred Heart of Jesus Church in Baltimore. We’ll observe this 150th anniversary on Saturday, November 3, and we invite you to take part.

At 4 p.m. that day the Redemptorists will celebrate Mass to commemorate the historic occasion, followed by a reception. Main celebrant for the Mass will be Cardinal Joseph Tobin, C.Ss.R., the archbishop of Newark, N.J.

Please join us! [read more]


By Patrick J. Hayes, Redemptorist Archives, Philadelphia

The icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help at St. James the Less Church in Baltimore. The icon was one of the first three to arrive in the United States–and the first to be publicly venerated. It was formally installed at St. James on December 6, 1868.

Ensconced for public veneration at the Church of St. James the Less in Baltimore on December 6, 1868, the icon of Our Mother of Perpetual Help traveled from Rome along with two others bound for America. They were the first to arrive on these shores. The very first installation took place in the Brothers’ chapel at St. Mary’s in Annapolis on August 15, 1868. The installation at St. James has a more detailed history. Here’s what we know:

Shortly after the Annapolis icon was placed in the Brothers’ chapel, on August 18 plans were announced at St. James to enshrine a copy there. Parishioners were asked to do more than make ready for the icon. An overall plan for improvements to the interior of their church accompanied the announcement about OLPH.

These included new stained-glass windows, a new pulpit, [read more]